A scratchy and dry is a very common symptom which occurs during the months of cold winter, when the air is dry and the infections related to the upper respiratory tract are spreading. A dry throat is often a result of a head cold, sleeping with the mouth open, dehydration and more. But there are also some effective home treatments for each of its causes, which can help you lower down the symptom and recover faster. And so if you want to know in detail about why my throat is dry even when i drink water and treatments for it, then you will find it all in this article. (but before we proceed, always remember to consult a doctor first if the symptoms do not go away and last longer than 1 week)
As you scroll down, you will find out complete details about why a person’s throat still feels dry after having dry, what are the common causes of it, how these can be treated and much more. So just keep reading below to check out all the info.
Why is my throat dry even when i drink water?
- Dehydration- So dryness in the throat might simply be a sign that you did not have enough consumption of liquid. When a person is dehydrated, the body does not produce as much of the saliva as it normally does to moisten the throat and mouth.
Dehydration can cause the following-
- Increased thirst
- Dry mouth
- Dark urine or less urine than normal
Treatment options for dehydration are- One of the best is to drink extra fluids during the day time. There are different opinions on how much to drink in a day, but a good amount of 15.5 cups of water at least for men and 12 cups for women is necessary.
A study also found that adults get between 27 to 36% of fluid from vegetables, fruits and some other type of food. And the water contents of the food is very much variable, as there are many factors which influence the daily selection of food.
So just make sure that you are drinking fluids that hydrates your body, such as sports drinks or water. And you should definitely avoid any kind of coffee and caffeinated drinks, as these can cause your body to lose even more water.
- Allergies or hay fever- This is another reason why my throat is dry even when i drink water. So hay fever, which is also called seasonal allergies, is usually caused by an overreaction of the immune system to the normal harmless substances present in the environemnt.
The common triggers of allergy includes the following-
- Pet dander
- Dust mites
When our immune system senses any of these triggers, it releases a chemical which is called histamine. This chemical can lead to following symptoms in the body-
- Itchy mouth, skin or eyes
- Runny or stuffy nose
The feeling of congestion in the nose can make a person breathe through the mouth, which actually dries out the throat. And the extra mucus also drips down at the back of your throat, which is called a post nasal drip, and this makes your throat feel scratchy and sore.
Treatment options for why my throat is dry even when i drink water due to fever or allergies are- To prevent the symptoms of allergies, you first need to avoid the triggers as much as possible. It might be more helpful for you if-
- You keep your pets out of the bedroom.
- Regularly vacuum your carpets and dust out your floors to pick up the mites of dust.
- Clean all the moulds in your house.
- Try to stay indoors with windows closed and keep the air conditioner on, especially during the peak allergy season.
- Wash out your bedsheets and other bedding sheets regularly in hot water.
- If you can, put on the covers that are dust mite proof on your bed.
- Cold- Another cause of why my throat is dry even when i drink water is this. So this is a very common infection which is caused by many different viruses to the human body. This infection can definitely make your throat feel scratchy and dry.
- Stuffed or running rose
- Mild fever
- Aching in body
Treatments options for it are-
- Give enough rest to your body to recover.
- Take an over the counter pain killer such as acetaminophen or Tylenol, or Ibuprofen or Advil to get relief from body aches or a sore throat.
- Try to suck on a throat lozenge.
- Prefer to gargle with warm water along with ½ tsp of salt.
- Try to drink extra fluids as possible to keep your throat and mouth moist and so prevent hydration.
- Turn on a humidifier so that the air gets moisten in your room.
- Prefer to drink warm liquids more, such as hot tea and broth.
- You can also use a decongestant nasal spray to get relief from a stuffy nose.
- Flu- This is basically a respiratory illness and a serious cause of why my throat is dry even when i drink water. Like the cold is caused by a virus, a flu is also caused by many types of viruses. But the symptoms of flu are likely to be more serious than those of cold. Along with scratchy and sore throat, a person might also experience-
- Diarrhoea or vomiting
- Cough or Fever
- Muscle aches
- Chills and headache
- Runny or stuffy nose
So, complications related to Flu includes-
- Ear Infections
- Sinus Infections
- Attacks of asthma in people who have asthma from before
Treatment options for Flu are as follows-
- Drink warm liquids such as broth or hot tea and coffee.
- Suck on a throat lozenge frequently.
- Take any over the counter pain killer which will lower your body temperature or fever and relife in body aches.
- Try to gargle twice a day with warm water and ½ tsp of salt.
- Just rest until your body recovers and symptoms get improved.